Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Lost in translation

It's official, I've made it. The flight was long... 10 hrs. Luckily, I
sat next to a very nice Argentinian named Chris. He works for the
argentine government and he was very helpful with showing me on the
map the areas of town I should go. He also showed me the areas to
definitely not go. He was trying to get me to speak more Spanish, so I
was practing how to say little things. Coffee with cream - cafe con
crema. Lets face it, I'm kind of pathetic on the language side.
Anyways, he helped the time pass, and he offered to take me sailing if
I stick around for the weekend.

When I arrived I handed them my passport and I was on my way. No bag
check, no inspection... nothing. I was just welcomed by a short
smiling man with a sign that had my name on it and spoke absolutely no
ingles. He was my transfer. We tried to communicate on the way from
the airport, but it was pretty much a lost cause. I thought of what he
might be thinking, "Why is this girl in Argentina traveling when she
can't speak the language?" Well... I kind of laughed to myself,
because I'm not a 100% sure why either. I do feel a little lost in
translation, but I know I have to suck it up and get out there.
Otherwise, I will spend all of my time in my hotel room. And, by the
looks of it, I don't want to spend to much time here. It doesn't even
have a window.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Es mismo de cuarto a Zach y you cuando en Argentina! We are so happy you made it and are going to meet Yvan! Have a good time!
xoxo

jeannie said...

Way to go Erin! Whee! you're off! xoxo Mom

olive and love said...

cozy pad