Friday, September 11, 2009

Climb to Villa Rrica

Top ten of best days ever... That was yesterday. I climbed a volcano
called the Villa Rrica in Pucon, Chile. The total elevation was about
9000 ft, but I climbed about 6000 of it. It was all in the snow. I had
an ice axe, spikes on my boots, and a guide that just would not go
fast enough for me. Im the power hiker for those that don't know. The
weather was spectacular and looking inside the volcano at the top was
epic! The sulfer or gas coming out of the volcano made it really hard
to breathe when the wind blew it towards me. The views were also to
die for. It made me feel so fortunate to be in such an amazing place
living my life to the fullest. I am truly a lucky gal! The Andes are
incredible. There is even a mountain named the Sierra Nevada. To get
down from the mountain, I strapped a canvas diaper to my bum and slid
the entire way down. I think I laughed the whole way. It was a perfect
ending to an incredible day.

Pucon is the cutest little town. Although all the locals like to mock
me where ever I go, calling me gringo. I do stand out. Everytime I go
to the supermarcado I spend way to much time trying to figure out
where things are and what they are. It is always an adventure, but I
think that is one of the things I love here.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Yippee! Fun and exciting! Crazy you climbed a volcano in the snow. I always imagine volcano's being hot on the outside because they are so hot on the inside. Looks like a blast though and bet it was a long day. Good work!

jeannie said...

Wow, what an experience! You weren't scared? I know that is going to be a memory you won't forget. xoxo