Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Kinder Eggs

Before Nik left, his mom gave me a chocolate egg from Germany. They are called Kinder Eggs. Inside there is a little toy and sometimes there are toys that you have to put together. The toys can be very intricate, so they are not allowed in the US due to being a choking hazard. Kim, my roommate said, " Kids in the US aren't smart enough to handled them." That made me laugh. Since his family has traveled all over, they had brought some back from their last trip and Gail happened to have one for me and Nik. I opened mine on the way up to Portland. The chocolate was delicious, but I was a little disappointed that my toy didn't do anything cool. It was just an egyptian princess holding a pot of something. I did, however, find it kind of sentimental that Nik and I opened the egg together and he was in fact going to Germany soon. I decided to keep the little thing, just as a reminder of that time.


Well, this morning I was talking to Nik online and he holds up this same little toy. For a second, I thought he must have grabbed it before he left because he wanted it, but in fact he found it in the house he is living in. I couldn't believe we have the same one. There are so many of these toys the odds of having the same one is rare. Now it means so much more to me. He was sweet by saying, "It means good fortune and safe travels for us." I think he was just indulging me, but it was very sweet and a huge coincedence.

Btw.... Nik is doing very well in Germany. He is all settled in and loves his new place. He has his own room and he shares a house with 4 other guys, including Danny (his American teammate). They practice Tuesday through Friday, coach teenage kids Tuesday through Thursday and play a double header every Saturday. He had his first game the first day he got there. He caught the entire game and hit 2 doubles and made a run in. I am so very proud of you Nik.

Check out his blog at Baseball, Beers and Bratwurst

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Meant to be :) Happy things are going well for him in Germany.

jeannie said...

Never heard of Kinder Eggs, but I like the idea. Glad Nik is doing so well. Love, Mom