Well, the Lathams, the Reskos and I made it. It was quite an adventure, lots of laughs, hard work and a beautiful day. The race was 30 km (around 18 miles). It started uphill and continued that way until the 11th km. I was on my own in the beginning, because I started in a different wave then everyone else. So, getting to the top took a lot of mental strength. It proved to be very challenging especially when everyone, including kids around 10 to adults in there 70s, was passing me up. When I arrived at the top, I could hear Sarah and Zach cheering for me. It truly made my day, to hear people you know rooting for you. Our friends the Fairchild brothers were up at the top as well. The 6 of us skated our way through the rest of the course, laughing, falling and cheering each other on.
At the finish, there is a gigantic down hill. A little sketchy to say the least. Sarah and Zach made a quick run for it, while I stopped at the top to regroup and then head down. It was a funny sight to see, people coming down this hill through the finish in a full snow plow. Mom and Ben were there to cheer us in and we all hugged and congratulated one another.
We waited for the Reskos to make their decent through the finish line. Sarah was the lucky one who actually got to see Willie and Jenna arrive. Apparently, Willie was a very good nordic skier growing up and he decided to tuck (point it in a tucking position) the last hill. As he made it through the finish line he could not stop and demonstrated a yard sale to the crowd (meaning he fell and all of his gear came flying off). The crowd gave a loud cheer and the announcer stated that, that must be the way people do it up in Idaho. Jenna made it down carrying her skies and decided next year she would cheer us on from the side lines.
Afterwards we enjoyed lunch and relaxation in the sun. It was a great adventure! One I will remember for a very long time. Thanks Lathams and Reskos for coming down to Tahoe to share this great experience with me. I had a wonderful time.


5 comments:
It was really fun to be there again this year, Erin. To have the Lathams and Reskos there made it a perfect day. Love, Mom and Ben
Way to go Erin! We had a blast skiing with you as well as hanging and spending time with the fam in Reno, too much fun. Don't forget, put the rabitt.......nevermind!
So much fun! Let's do it again next weekend :) Wish we could have stayed longer...be back in May!!!
Erin it was great to see you. You guys killed it in the race. Can't wait to see Willie's crash on youtube!
Come visit us soon...bring a chicken...
This looks and sounds like so much fun!!! I am so proud of you all!
Post a Comment