
Since I was flying out of Dusseldorf to head home on Thursday, Nik and I decided it would be a great idea to drive down the day before. Spend some time in the city to explore, stay the night then I could fly out easily the next morning. Our favorite travel agent (Gail) booked us a nice hotel and we took the two hour drive to Duss (as they call it). Upon arriving we checked in, then took off to find the downtown area along the Rhine River. Our plan was to take the train, but of course we weren't to sure how and when to take it. With a small direction from the front desk person she sent us in the right vicinity. After taking the train the wrong way for two stops, we quickly exited and headed in the right direction. It is so much more fun discovering the ins and outs of a city with someone. When you screw up, you can laugh about it together, instead of being stressed as a solo traveler.
Once downtown, we blindly guided ourselves to the river. Stumbling upon an amazing area of walking streets lined with restaurants and shopping. It was fantastic, better than all the other cities I had seen. For a Wednesday evening, everyone was out and about. We enjoyed some amazing German food and headed to the river for a spectacular view. We strolled along the river, watched the sunset, walked around the streets, tasted yummy food, laughed and enjoyed every last minute we had together. Definitely one of my top ten days ever!

The next morning we got up early to head to the airport. Of course, leaving is always hard. I was so sad to leave and secretly wished I could stay. I knew it wasn't realistic, but a girl can dream right. The flight was pretty seamless, even though my ticket from Dusseldorf to Amsterdam was canceled. There were still seats available, so they just rescheduled me. I think something got screwed up when I changed my ticket on the way over. Again, secretly I was wishing they couldn't get me on the flight, but this wish was not going to come true. I touched down in Amsterdam with enough time to walk from one plane to the next about 4 terminals away. I was sure my luggage wouldn't make it. After 10 hours in the air from Amsterdam all the way to Portland going over Iceland, Greenland and Northern Canada I touched down in Portland. My luggage arrived with me and my lovely roommate Martina was there to pick me up.
It was my favorite trip so far. I have been to Argentina, Chile, Thailand and now Germany all in the same year. This one stood out the most. Even though we didn't do as much traveling as I had on other trips. The fact that Nik and I got to be together for a few days after being separated for a while made the quality of time together so much more important. Nik, I already miss you dearly. Although I am not looking forward to seeing you on a computer screen (compared to in person) I am thankful that we have it, because it makes our separation so much easier. Thank you so much for everything! It truly was the best.
1 comment:
Sorry for not commenting sooner. Finally back in the swing of things. I love all your stories and am so happy you had such a good time in Germany! My lil sis the world traveler:) xoxo
Post a Comment