What do you do when you get back from a trip across the world? Well, I will tell you what I do. I turn around and drive 10 hours to watch my sister do the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon. For some reason the jet lag and the drive did not intimidate me, so I hopped in the car with little Wandaroo and headed south to San Francisco. I guess the fact that my mom and sister would be in San Francisco was the real pull on getting me to go. I had not seen my mom for almost 2 months, so I was itching to be around her. I am definitely one who appreciates quality time and I for sure wanted to support my sis in this big event.
This event is a pretty big deal. The start of the race is on a large boat that stops basically at Alcatraz. When the race begins, the athletes have to jump off the boat into the cold bay and swim 1.5 miles into shore. There is a current in the bay so the swimmers have to swim in an L shape to avoid being swept farther down the bay. Sarah made her way out of the bay and headed to the transition area to change gear. She then got on her bike and rode around the city for 18 miles. Once done with the bike she put on her running shoes and ran along the beach for the last 8 miles. Finally coming through the finish line at just under 3 hours. We cheered her on many times as she would pass us by. The five of us (including Wanda) had a great time, planning where and when we would see her next. She would flash by in a matter of seconds and we would film and take as many pictures as we could. The weather was spectacular and it was fun hanging with the family in San Fran.
Sarah ended up finishing 11th in her age group. She trained and planned for about 6 months for this event and although she was glad it was over, she was so happy she completed it. Sarah I am so proud of you! You did an amazing job. I think the next one we will have to do together, I need to get back into the tri thing... maybe I should stop traveling first.
2 comments:
Thanks so much for coming down! It was great to see you and Wandaroo and we had a blast catching up and hearing about your adventures in Germany! xoxo
I can't believe you had the energy for the drive down, but SO glad you did. I needed to see you and this was the perfect excuse between trips! xoxo Mom
Post a Comment