Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Portland Spring


Coming from the dry high desert, I feel like Portland has florescent colors of greens, pinks, purples and reds. The flowers seem to amaze me every time I step outside. Really! I walk around my block with Wanda and every other house has beautiful flowered trees, bushes and gardens. Just this morning Wanda and I were taking a walk and these are the colors I was impressed to see.


The weather around here has been fantastic all week. Everyone keeps telling me that this is how the summers are around here (except hotter). I have to admit I am very surprised, because I didn't think Portland had blue skies days on end. Apparently it stays like this (most of the time) until the end of September. I already really like Portland, but with the beautiful days we are having and the spectacular colors, I am learning to love it here.


I have been taking Wanda for a walk twice a day since moving here. We usually go to a park near by called Pier Park and it is huge. Gigantic trees cover the park with all sorts of paths and playgrounds scattered throughout. At night this place would not be one to hangout (what park is), but during the day it is quite nice. Actually during the day I can see it being a little sketchy, but there is a large frisbee golf course weaving through the park. This means that people are walking throughout the park all day keeping it (I think) pretty safe. Frisbee golf is a lot like regular golf, but with a frisbee. You start at a tee off and throw the frisbee towards a basket way off in the distance and you count how many throws it takes to get in the basket. I enjoy watching the groups of people get into it. Next to the park is a community pool. As we speak they are getting it ready for summer and it should be open in a couple weeks. I look forward to swimming some laps and laying out by the pool.

I can tell summer is going to be a lot of fun around here. I will be very busy (news to come soon), but I always find time to live life to its fullest.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Beautiful! I wish I could grow flowers like that in Idaho :) So happy you are living in such a great city. Be careful in that park :)