Before I came over, I sent Nik a care package with all sorts of things he might be missing from the states. One of the things I sent was a box of confetti cake mix and confetti cake frosting. I was glad that I sent it, because I knew he would appreciate it (it is his favorite cake), but I knew he would never put on his baking cap and make the cake. He lives with 4 others guys, I could see how that would be a little weird. So, the day we stayed home, I made the cake for him while we watched a couple movies. He was so happy to have a taste from home. One of the movies we watched was Schindler’s List, because Nik had never seen it. I was concerned his roommates might be offended, but the movie was theirs and Nik assured me they are not afraid to talk about their countries history. I have to say it was awkward watching such a sad and disturbing movie in the country it was about.
When Nik arrived in Paderborn he really had no idea what living situation he was walking into. He was very fortunate to have things end up the way they have. For a guy, living with 4 other guys, having your own room, a fridge full of food and beer and a projection tv screen is about as nice as it gets. They make most of their meals at home and they mainly consist of bratwurst and pasta. I had to laugh, because one day I had bratwurst in my breakfast, lunch and dinner. Trust me I am not complaining, I actually liked it. This truly is a bachelor pad from heaven. I think Nik likes it, especially since he has lived with his grandma for the past 3 years. But, he says he will definitely be ready to leave when it is time. It is pretty much a party house, there is random people walking in and out of the house of all hours and he consistently has to get up at night to turn the music down. On the flip side though, the guys do a pretty good job of keeping the house clean. Each one of them does a little here and there (surprising for guys), so I was impressed with how clean the house stayed.
We have eaten most of our meals at the house since I have been here and I really enjoy it. Nik has been so sweet to make me breakfast each morning and we have worked together making dinners. I am so glad Nik is in a safe place to call home for a while.
1 comment:
OH my little brother...the man of many many accents....
Post a Comment