Friday, April 30, 2010

Bike ride to Wewelsburg Castle


We had the day to spend doing whatever we wanted as long as it was within the distance of a bike. So, Nik and I decided to bike out to Wewelsburg Castle, (about 25 km away). This castle was the place Reichführer SS Heinrich Himmler transformed the SS to become the most powerful institution in the Third Reich. Hitler and many other leaders met here regularly before the war, planning and plotting the Holocaust. There was a concentration camp here as well during the war. About 3900 people were interned here. Through the cruelty, starvation and inhuman working and living conditions about 1285 prisoners did not survive. We walked through the museum reading everything we could that was in English (there wasn't a lot). Luckily there was an English tour going on, so we were able to ease drop a little on what the guide had to say. This place was very educational, but I found it hard to take in, just knowing and realizing that mankind could be so cruel and evil.


After the museum we walked over to the castle. The North tower was the main attraction. Inside you could walk up stairs to a room at the top. Inside the room is the Black Sun tiled on the floor and large windows looking out in each direction. I guess the Black Sun is used for a lot of Satanic groups and they migrate to the castle to see it. The people here try very hard to keep that sort of thing away from the castle. They want this to be used for education, not encouraging negative activity. Below, the large room is a crypt. It was very eerie and cold. It was a cylinder shaped room, with a sunken in center (kind of like a fire pit). Apparently this is where they held important meetings. When standing in the center of the room, even a whisper can be heard from any where in the room. When someone speaks, it sounds like it is echoing through a sound system. Personally I did not like this room at all. I got really creeped out when Nik was taking pictures and had to leave abruptly. The rest of the castle is used as a restaurant and none other than a youth hostel. I found that weird, because personally I would never want to stay in a place like that. I was definitely ready to leave when we decided to head back. It was creepy!
On our way we stopped near a field that had a great view of a small town below. We had packed a lunch earlier, so we sat and enjoyed the view. I was so thankful to be there with Nik.

No comments: