St. Johns is a neighborhood in north Portland and the bridge above is the St. Johns Bridge which leads into the neighborhood from north of downtown, in the industrial area. The neighborhood has a ton of character and the people were some of the nicest I have met. One morning, Nik and I walked into a Starbucks for some coffee and there was the cutest old man in a one piece mechanic outfit with a red and black plaid hat on. He had a smile that seemed permanent. He was looking at old pictures of Portland on the wall, and was so friendly with everyone. As he got to the counter to order he told the barista to make his drink as hot as possible. He wanted it to burn his mouth. Then, he proceeded to tell her he has gotten rid of a lot of women in his life, but he has never gotten rid of coffee. I think he was half kidding, but it was a funny comment that everyone in line chuckled about. Everyone in the Starbucks was listening and a women a few people behind him jumped in and told the barista she would handle the man's bill. He was very thankful and appreciative. I could tell everyone in the place knew this man and they all appreciated his company. I loved the fact the women took the man's bill. It just goes to show that there still are some really wonderful people in this world.
St. Johns Pub is the neighborhoods McMenamins, which is a local brewery/movie theater. McMenamins are located all over the city and each one is absolutely fantastic. Each one is a little bit different. Some have movie theaters, others have music venues, frisbee golf courses, hotels, etc. At St. Johns Pub, you arrive for a $3 movie, order you food/drinks and sit and watch the movie while you eat. This McMenamins is an old church. The place has vaulted ceilings and a very rustic feel with exotic lighting hanging from the ceiling. We headed down one evening for the movie Couples Retreat. It was so much fun, sitting on a couch, in this old building and enjoying some nice grub. Plus, the movie was hilarious!!!
Overall, I loved Portland! I think it is a city with so much character, friendly people, environmentally sustainable and of course great food/beer. I can't wait to be back there.



1 comment:
I love that you love my old city! I miss Portland so much! Have fun in Thailand. You little traveler. My favorite thing about Thailand was the food, so eat up chica and have a blast. Love, Brook
Post a Comment