Friday, December 25, 2009

Backcountry Skiing in Idaho



Sarah and Zach were kind enough to introduce Nik and me to backcountry skiing. They provided most of the gear (beacons, probes, shovels and skins). We met up with some of Zach's buddies and carpooled to the top of the mountain. Then, we strapped on our skins and hiked to the peak. Skins are a type of fabric you put on the bottom of your skis that allow you to walk up a hill without sliding backwards. It makes for a hard, but very beneficial hike.



I have to say hiking up was so much fun, it was the skiing down that was the hard part. Since I am new to skiing I had a heck of a time getting down the mountain. The snow was very heavy for Idaho and my skills just are not up to par. Zach was nice enough to do a flying lawndart, ejecting from both of his skis head first into the snow. I think he was just making me feel better. At the bottom, I had an audience giving me tips on how to make it down safely. It was very frustrating and at one point the camera got the bird from me (Not my best moment and one I won't share). In the end, we all laughed about the adventure and decided it was a great time.




Afterwards we headed to Galena Lodge for a fantastic lunch of veggie burgers and chili. Again, Zach and Sarah knew about everyone there and we enjoyed our times together.




No comments: