Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Dusseldorf to Montenegro

Planes, trains and automobiles



Danny was headed back to the states for his time off and Nik and I were headed down to Montenegro. Luckily we were all leaving from Dusseldorf so we caught the train together and headed to the city known as having the longest bar on earth. Nik and Danny have become really good at German so getting around is a breeze. They have even figured out the train situation so we were able to get all 3 of us to Dusseldorf for €30. Not bad considering it is an hour and a half away and we could have spent €30 each. 



It was a lot of fun walking along the Rhine river with the boys. Danny was super excited to head home and Nik and I were waiting with anticipation to head South. I had quite the laugh with the boys appetites though. After stopping at McDonald's (apparently it is good here) for a couple cheeseburgers (those were appetizers) Nik and I tried a German delicatessen which is raw hamburger meat on a slice of bread. I surprisingly liked it a lot. I don't remember what it is called, but people love it around here and it helped substantially with my hunger.



Our night was spent walking along the longest bar (multiple bars and restaurants connected through a series of walking streets). We enjoyed some of the local brews (alt beers come from this region) then headed to our hotel. We shared a room, which was actually really nice, but it consisted of 2 twin beds pushed together. The three of us laughed about who got the crack. Nik was kind enough to take up the duty.



The next morning Danny had to take off early so we said our goodbyes and joked about how Nik and Danny might go through separation anxiety because they have spent so much time together over the past three months. Truly I think they were looking forward to a break. Nik and I then headed out mid morning to catch the train to the airport. The flight was a breeze and we had reservations for a place to stay in Budva, but we weren't sure how we were going to get from the airport in Dubrovnik to Budva about 3 hours and a country away. Upon arriving we asked around looking at car rentals (€250 just to cross the border), seeing if there was a shuttle or just taking a taxi. We chose the taxi  to the first city past the border, then got on a bus and trekked the rest of the way on public transportation. The funny part was the taxi across the border was €60 (which was a 30 min ride) and the bus was €10 for the rest of the ride. The ride was spectacular, even though it was hot and bumpy. 




We drove along the Bay of Kotor enjoying the most incredible mountains (steep and jagged shooting up from the water) and watching all the hundreds of people soaking in the crystal clear water (kind of like Tahoe).


 


2 comments:

Sarah said...

wOW! Amazing. It must have been so great to travel with Nik now that he has learned so much about German and Europe. Beautiful area!

jeannie said...

NO WAY would I eat raw hamburger! Glad you survived it, but the rest of the trip sounds wonderful.