Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July War Zone

As I am packing for my upcoming trip, I can't help but hear the sounds of fireworks all around me. This isn't just tonight, but it has been the last few nights. I guess I am not used to this because in Nevada, as we all know, fireworks are highly illegal. Here in Portland everyone takes it upon themselves to have their own fireworks show. They don't mess around either. These fireworks are as large as any I have seen at any fireworks show. Every few seconds for the last few days I hear loud sounds, like gun shots, all around me. I must say it gives me a little bit of an uneasy feeling, because I never know when it is going to stop and I don't know when they are coming. Large booms followed by long drawn out popping sounds. I keep imagining I am in some sort of war zone hearing these sounds and never really knowing when I will have to duck and cover. Thank God for our independence and freedom, because I don't know if I could handle this if it was a real war. 


Today I was lucky enough to have the day off, so I spent the day going for a long run, preparing for my trip and barbecuing with my roomies. We made good ole' american food; hamburgers, salad and sweet potato fries. I had been craving a hamburger lately, so this was a great way to satisfy the urge. This fourth was definitely different from most I have had. It was much colder weather and I wasn't at Lake Tahoe. I have to say I missed being there, but I still had a great time relaxing and enjoying the day. 



Happy Fourth of July to all my family and friends. 
I hope you enjoyed our countries birthday. I know Portland did!

2 comments:

Nik Kosach said...

Welcome to the Northwest on the 4th. Glad you enjoyed it!

Sarah said...

Happy 4th! Hailey became a temporary war zone as well. I'm blamming the boys mostly. Loud noises, sparks, and fire...typical :)