Being able to watch Nik play ball again was very exciting. It was a scorching hot day, pretty rare for this region, and all the guys were all uniformed up. Poor Nik as the catcher has to wear the most gear. He would spend his time between innings putting a cold wet towel on his head or dunking it into a bucket of water. Nik played really well, getting multiple hits and performing some exceptional defensive plays (including throwing multiple base stealers out). They won both games against the team from Bonn. I spent the day in the shade of course drinking water and trying to stay cool. At the end of the day Nik was full of energy insisting on making me dinner and having a good time. The heat hit him like a ton of bricks, either his adrenalin wore off from the wins or his body just couldn't handle the heat any longer. He started feeling really sick, dizzy and he wasn't sweating anymore. One minute he was great the next he was terrible. Me being a pervious EMT, I thought I could recognize something like this a lot sooner, but Nik was having a clear case of heat exhaustion and if we didn't do something quick he could have heat stroke (the no sweating was a bad sign). I immediately put cold packs on his head and neck and he continued to drink cold water, but he wasn't cooling down. He didn't want to move but I convinced him to get in the shower. He sat in a cold shower with all his clothes on and soon he slowly started to feel better. We got him some electrolytes and put that in his water and he sat outside with his wet clothes just letting his body recover. He started feeling better and eventually ate dinner. After dinner he was pretty much back up to par. It was a scary end to his exceptional day. I was so glad I was here to take care of him, because I no a little about what to do, but of course I was scared and worried about him. We spent the rest of the night taking it easy, because we knew our great European adventure was starting tomorrow.
A young family making the best of life each and everyday. Spending our time with the most important things; each other, our daughter, family, friends, traveling, our dogs, sports and of course anything outdoors.
Thursday, July 15, 2010
Overheating in Northern Germany
Being able to watch Nik play ball again was very exciting. It was a scorching hot day, pretty rare for this region, and all the guys were all uniformed up. Poor Nik as the catcher has to wear the most gear. He would spend his time between innings putting a cold wet towel on his head or dunking it into a bucket of water. Nik played really well, getting multiple hits and performing some exceptional defensive plays (including throwing multiple base stealers out). They won both games against the team from Bonn. I spent the day in the shade of course drinking water and trying to stay cool. At the end of the day Nik was full of energy insisting on making me dinner and having a good time. The heat hit him like a ton of bricks, either his adrenalin wore off from the wins or his body just couldn't handle the heat any longer. He started feeling really sick, dizzy and he wasn't sweating anymore. One minute he was great the next he was terrible. Me being a pervious EMT, I thought I could recognize something like this a lot sooner, but Nik was having a clear case of heat exhaustion and if we didn't do something quick he could have heat stroke (the no sweating was a bad sign). I immediately put cold packs on his head and neck and he continued to drink cold water, but he wasn't cooling down. He didn't want to move but I convinced him to get in the shower. He sat in a cold shower with all his clothes on and soon he slowly started to feel better. We got him some electrolytes and put that in his water and he sat outside with his wet clothes just letting his body recover. He started feeling better and eventually ate dinner. After dinner he was pretty much back up to par. It was a scary end to his exceptional day. I was so glad I was here to take care of him, because I no a little about what to do, but of course I was scared and worried about him. We spent the rest of the night taking it easy, because we knew our great European adventure was starting tomorrow.
Location:
Paderborn, Germany
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Glad to hear he pulled out of the heat nose dive and that you guys are back in action together! Keep us posted on the trip through Europe, we are so excited to hear all about it!
Scarey! Funny thing is I had some heat exhaustion on our river trip two days ago. Have to remember to drink more water when in that kind of heat/sun exposure.
Poor Nik! That's really scary. I'm so glad you were there to help him do all the right things. Glad you are both having such a great time. It was wonderful to talk to you today. Much love! Mom
It's not as bad as it sounds...... Erin is just a wonderful writer.
Post a Comment