
Although Erin and I have been writing the past few blogs together, She has allowed me to make a post from a subjective point of view. That is not to say that we are not seeing things from the same vantage point, I just thought it might be fun to write while we wait for our flight to depart from Bangkok to Phuket and share a little humor from our experiences since I know my friends and family are following Erin's blog as well. So, as I sit in the domestic terminal in Bangkok (which is the first time either of us has flown in a foreign country domestically) drinking a Singha, and eating a bag of chips, I am recalling some of the things we have learned along the way. Here are the top rive lessons so far.
1.) Yum-Yum is NOT a way to describe good food!!! As a matter of fact I learned it means you want something sexual, although I lost the true meaning in translation. Also, ping-pong shows have nothing to do with the sport the Chinese and Forest Gump do so well. Enough said.
2.) Although we are thousands upon thousands of miles from the U.S.A., it is a very small world and you run into neighbors, friends, and celebraties from home. Case in point; We are traveling with some very old friends from Reno High and Roy Gomm Elementary, and we ran into Rick Fox, the retired ex-L.A. Laker who was a part of the great Shaq/Kobe days. Funny stuff.
3.) Never trust a Thai in Bangkok wearing a "Tourist Police" shirt who claims to be a professional guide. As we were trying to find a particular temple Sunday, a man wanted to "help us along" and proceded to tell us the Grand Palace area and Wat Pho were closed on Sunday. He then began telling us while drawing on a map that the shopping was better for us to go to and he could take us there. Wow! We had a good laugh when we discovered how full of shit he was when we arrived at the home of the giant reclining Buddha and the vast space of Temples and brillant architecture in this area. Although we were exhausted it was truley breathtaking.
4.) Never thumb wrestle with a 9 year old Thai girl selling flowers on the street while she calls you a "ladyboy!" Also, avoid the follow up flower girl who wants to play Rock, Paper, scissor for 200 Baht. Once again, enough said!
5.) . Although this may seem weird, the drivers and motorcycle riders down here are unbelievably good at getting to were you want to go safely and FAST!!!! If I was looking for the next Jeff Gordon, or Dale Ernhardt to drive a race car, I would come to Bangkok. Cabbies are fearlous and yet the chaos is very controlled, and very exciting.
1.) Yum-Yum is NOT a way to describe good food!!! As a matter of fact I learned it means you want something sexual, although I lost the true meaning in translation. Also, ping-pong shows have nothing to do with the sport the Chinese and Forest Gump do so well. Enough said.
2.) Although we are thousands upon thousands of miles from the U.S.A., it is a very small world and you run into neighbors, friends, and celebraties from home. Case in point; We are traveling with some very old friends from Reno High and Roy Gomm Elementary, and we ran into Rick Fox, the retired ex-L.A. Laker who was a part of the great Shaq/Kobe days. Funny stuff.
3.) Never trust a Thai in Bangkok wearing a "Tourist Police" shirt who claims to be a professional guide. As we were trying to find a particular temple Sunday, a man wanted to "help us along" and proceded to tell us the Grand Palace area and Wat Pho were closed on Sunday. He then began telling us while drawing on a map that the shopping was better for us to go to and he could take us there. Wow! We had a good laugh when we discovered how full of shit he was when we arrived at the home of the giant reclining Buddha and the vast space of Temples and brillant architecture in this area. Although we were exhausted it was truley breathtaking.
4.) Never thumb wrestle with a 9 year old Thai girl selling flowers on the street while she calls you a "ladyboy!" Also, avoid the follow up flower girl who wants to play Rock, Paper, scissor for 200 Baht. Once again, enough said!
5.) . Although this may seem weird, the drivers and motorcycle riders down here are unbelievably good at getting to were you want to go safely and FAST!!!! If I was looking for the next Jeff Gordon, or Dale Ernhardt to drive a race car, I would come to Bangkok. Cabbies are fearlous and yet the chaos is very controlled, and very exciting.
And for a bonus #6, Never, ever trust anyone in Thailand and ALWAYS negotiate prices!!!
I will be a great salesman once again, especially after being in Bangkok!!!!
Cheers,
Niko

2 comments:
Lessons are good for learning the "rules". I think you are both wiser Thai travelers after experiencing Bangkok. Hope the south brings more tranquil experiences. xoxo
Nice work Niko! Seems like you had to learn some of those lessons the hard way. However, I'm sure you won't forget them easily :) Love the updates!!!
Post a Comment