I know it may seem odd to be skiing during the month of July in the Northern Hemisphere, but I thought I would share some photos with all of you from the climb and ski of Mount Adams, Washington that I did this past Saturday with my neighbor Dillon and his friends. He was able to take some great photos of the climb up to the top, and decent on our skis of the south chutes.
Erin and I climbed part of Mount Saint Helen's about a month ago, and since then, I have been itching to go to Mount Adams because Dillon kept talking about how great and hard it was.
We started at the trail head at 4:30a.m./3,500 feet and I reached the south summit at 12:30p.m./11,500 feet. It was an extremely hard climb and once I hit about 10,000 feet the elevation started to ware me out. (I don't have those high desert Lungs like I did as a kid) None the less, we made it to the top of the chutes on the south summit and the skiing was amazing. It was very cold and windy, but it was pure and perfect spring corn, and we enjoyed every turn.
Climbing nearly 8,000 feet in a day was a pretty awesome feat, and I can say that it was certainly one of the most challenging things I have every done, especially with a 35 pound bag on my back that had all my water, food, boots and skis!
 |
| Near 5,000 feet at sunrise. Looking at the top you can see the sun hitting the eastern side. |
 |
| Already getting a good workout, we still had 6,500 feet to go. |
 |
| A great view of Mount Hood to the South. |
 |
| Spring Corn at its finest. Softening up as we moved along. |
 |
| A great view of Mount St. Helens to the west as we reached the lunch table at about 6,000 feet. |
 |
| We've got out work cut out for us! |
 |
| Getting up there and still climbing. |
 |
| 5 steps up, one minute of hard breathing as we approach 11,000 feet. |
 |
| I finally made it to the top in 8 hours. 11,500 feet. Long day at work and I was out of breath! |
 |
My neighbor Dillon and I at the South (False) Summit at 11,500 feet. Notice Mt. Hood in between us. We are about 250 feet above the peak of Hood.
|
 |
| Finally the Decent. (Yes that is me:) That is what they call "Earning your turns!" Notice Mount St. Helens in the backdrop. |
 |
| One more just for the heck of it! |
3 comments:
That is so awesome, Nik!! Not many people can say they've done that feat. It looks so hard and more than a bit scary.. Way to go!
Nice work Kosach! An addiction to back country skiing is in your future.
Great work Nik! Way to keep the season alive, I don't think I've done that much vertical ever, nice work man!
Post a Comment