We left Menaggio at 7:30 in the morning taking a bus to Como (the town). It was about a 3 euro ride each. Much much cheaper than when we got the taxi out there. It was nice finally being able to see the lake, but I was glad we were leaving. The sound and smell of italian food made my stomach churn and I really was looking forward to Innsbruck. We then had to take a train back to Milan (I was bummed on that, but I was determined to stay positive). At Milan we quickly changed trains and headed to Verona. This time Milan was much easier (I think because we already had our train tickets purchased from Como).
We had to make a train change in Verona, then it was almost a straight shot to Innsbruck, Austria. When we arrived in Verona our train never came. We didn’t know what to think. Why would our train just not show up? After some long investigation and through broken english from a security guard we found out our train was 50 minutes late and it had changed platforms. Of course, there was no indication or announcement. At that point, Nik and I decided the Italian transportation system was the worst we had experienced. They are never on time, the trains were all in terrible condition and there was never any communication to what was happening. I am sure the language barrier had something to do with it, but it definitely wasn’t all of it.
During our layover (delay) I decided I was finally hungry and feeling better from my stomach issues. Nik took on the job of going to find something to eat. The video below is a funny account of my McDonald’s experience in Europe. All I have to say is it was much better than I expected. After eating it, I was back to normal and feeling much better. Who would have known McDonald’s would do the trick.
Our train finally arrived and we headed North through the Alps to Innsbruck. This was the best train ride yet (as far as scenery). We went from the flatness of Verona to the massive mountains of the Italian and Austrian Alps. It was a great way to be first introduced to the magnificent place. I was so happy to be where we were and so thankful Nik had planned such a fantastic trip.
- On a side note, Nik planned the entire trip (hotels, flights, trains, everything). He did such a great job. I truly could not have dreamed up a better trip.
I knew right when we got to Innsbruck. The valley we were going through opened up to the largest mountains we had seen yet. We were there and it was incredible. The sun was setting so the sky and the mountains looked like a painting. We exited the train and went straight to the hotel. It was about 9 pm and we didn’t want to miss our check in.
2 comments:
Man, you guys make me want to head to Innsbruk! Love reading about your trip, keep the TR's coming!
A McDonald's food poisoning cure! That's a new one.
Post a Comment