The next morning we were off to Munich. It was an easy 2 hour ride from Innsbruck to Munich and we arrived to a rainy Bavaria. Nik had been here before with Danny and his girlfriend so he knew right where to take me. Since it was so rainy we didn't have too many options for what to do except go to the famous beer halls and take in the atmospheres. That was exactly what we did. Over the course of our day and a half, we went from beer hall to beer hall tasting the foods and of course beers of the region. Some have been around since the 1400's. We had a lot of fun and we met some characters along the way. We made our stops at Hofbrauhaus, Paulaner, Augustiner and a couple others I am not sure of the names of. My favorite had to be Hofbrau. It was a crazy place, the service was terrible and it was incredibly hard to find a seat. But, the atmosphere was fantastic. There was a band playing, people were singing and many people were even wearing there lederhosen. I loved that a pretzel lady walked around just selling pretzels. All the germans knew the songs, so they sang along and clank there beers together regularly. I now see why this is such a famous place.
Before we left for Frankfurt on our last day we had a chance to see a show that is put on everyday at 12 and 1pm. At the main cathedral in the Marienplatz (downtown) they have moving figurings on the outside of the church move, dance and fight to music. It was interesting to see this incredibly old building come to life. I was most impressed with the crowd though. When the figures started to move, the whole crowd oohed and awed. I also thought the sea of umbrellas was quite the show. Even though our intension in Munich was to do a bike tour, we really didn't mind the rain. Once we had an umbrella it was fun walking around and enjoying the city.
The trip was quickly coming to an end and Nik and I didn't even want to think about being apart again. The thought of skype to me is a love hate relationship. I appreciate that we have it, because I can see him everyday while he is gone, but I hate it because I am ready for Nik to be back here in Portland.
We stayed our last night in Frankfurt and were so sad to be saying goodbye again. This time we knew that it would be the last time. It has already been two weeks since I left Nik in Europe and I can't believe how fast time is flying. I look forward to him coming home for good, but I do hope that he does well in his season finals. We are not too sure when he comes home, it just depends on how well the team does.
Nik, thank you, thank you, thank you for the best trip ever. I have been to 9 different countries and 4 continents in the last year and this trip, by far, took the cake. I had the most wonderful time and I look forward to when we are finally in the same place. I love you very much!!

2 comments:
Erin, this is a wonderful journal of your trip. It's so fun to read, and I agree, Nik did a GREAT job planning it. So happy it all worked out. oxoxo
ahhhh..... I miss it! Come back please! You are the best travel partner anybody could ever ask for!!
Post a Comment