Monday, August 16, 2010

Hot weather and waterskiing


That's right! Who would have thought in Portland, there is sun and waterskiing. Our friend Andrew has a boat and he was so kind to take me out not just once, but twice this week. The first time I met Wanda (my friend) and he at Cathedral Park after work. They had already been on the boat for a while, but I got on just in time for the sunset. I laughed and thanked them for inviting me on their romantic night out on the boat. We had a good time just cruising around and hanging out. It was beautiful with the sunset and the St Johns Bridge above us. Also, really romantic. I hope I didn't intrude too much.


On Monday, Andrew invited me out again. This time it was on his dad's boat and that meant we could waterski and wakeboard. Wanda was out of town on business and they needed a 3rd person (to hold the flag). Haha, no really he knew I had been itching to go all summer and now was my chance. I have been gone so much or working that I haven't had the opportunity. This was the day. I can't remember the last time I one skied (maybe 5 years), but both Andrew and Jerry (his dad) are good skiers so I was determined to give a go. Andrew started out and impressed us with his great carving ability. I was thoroughly impressed. Next, I was up. I have to say, I had a little bit of adrenaline going, just because it had been so long and I really wanted to get up. Let's face it, I just wanted to get out of the water. Once you can do that, the carving part is pretty easy.


Growing up, my dad started us waterskiing at a very young age. He had a boat and I have wonderful memories of the family being out on the water learning how to ski. I remember he made a board for us that had a rope attached. He would start the boat and we would lie on the board holding onto the rope. Then when he got going a good speed, we would slowly pull ourselves up to a standing position. This got us used to being pulled behind the boat. Gradually we graduated to two skis then finally we learned to one ski by dropping a ski while being towed behind the boat.

All of these memories were going through my head when I jumped into the water. I tried to think of all the things my dad would be telling me to remember. Keep your body weight back, keep your arms straight, hold your breath, and use all of your strength to hold your body balanced. I put the ski on and waited for the rope to be taut and yelled, "HIT IT!" The boat pulled me along and while struggling along doing everything I could to not fall, all of a sudden I was UP. First try! I couldn't believe it. I started hooping, hollering and laughing, because I was so stoked I made it up on one ski first try. I skied along for a bit then got squirmy and sat down on the water. Second try, I messed up and didn't make it up. But, the third I popped up again and stayed up this time. I started carving in and out of the wake, remembering how I did it before and stayed up until I couldn't quite hold on any longer. I was tired.



Jerry showed off his stuff (which he was a fantastic skier) and then when we were all to tired to one ski anymore we decided to move to the wakeboard. Andrew and I got a few runs in on the wakeboard. This is an easy one for me. I knew I would pop right out of the water. He cleared the wake a bunch and tried a few tricks. I just worked on my jumping skills and was so close to clearing the wake.


All in all, it was a wonderful day out on the Willamette River. I was so thankful to Jerry and Andrew for taking me out. I had so much fun! Also, I think I might have impressed them a bit with my water skills ;-) Actually, I impressed myself. It also made me think about how lucky of a kid I was. I was raised to do so many sports (thanks Dad). So, now as an adult I am still really athletically inclined. Someday, I want to raise my kids the same way. Showing them all the incredible sports out there. It is great being a jack of all trades.

Last thing. I wanted to post this picture of the house boats around here. They are beautiful and everywhere. Along the rivers you will see these houses and I am always so impressed. What a neat life these people have.

4 comments:

jeannie said...

How fun! It looks beautiful there right now. Skiing on a river is probably quite a unique experience.

Sarah said...

Wonderful! Funny I think Zach and I are going water skiing for our first time this summer tonight. It truly is a summer activity us Lyle girls are familiar with and missed when we don't get to go. Hope I make it up first try, stud!

zach latham said...

Wow, that is too cool, waterskiing in Portland, who knew? Looked like a perfect evening for a ski, and up on your first try no doubt, not to shabby! We'll give you the report from tonight-

klkosach said...

Little known fact about the Kosach family....My mom would make us to things by bribing us with something we wanted really really badly.....
For example:
I was 8yrs and wanted pierced ears....my mom said no...Then we were in Hawthorne and my mom wanted me to go water skiing, I was so scared, but she told me, "if you stand up on the water skis for atleast 30secs., I will let you get your ears pierced."

I stood up for 10 Mins and the next day we went to the Mall and I got my ears pierced!

Andrew is the best! And I love his mom and dad....by far some of the best people I know. Glad you had a good time with them.