Monday, October 19, 2009

Idaho Fall = Productive

Since I am visiting Sarah and Zach for a bit, I decided I needed to help around the house to earn my keep. They don't mess around. On the first day of the weekend, we finished painting their house and did some repair work on the roof. I wasn't to much help on the roof section with Zach. That was a little out of my league, but I did learn a couple things.


The next day we headed out the the mountains to chop some trees down and make some firewood, the good ole' fashioned way. With the dogs in tow, we managed to find a couple spots. Sarah and Zach have both done this a few times, so they both were sure they had found the perfect tree a couple of times (disagreeing on which tree was better). It is all good though, Sarah and I were laughing how this activity is a good test of ones marriage. It doesn't help that everyone is a chief in this family and we all try to take the lead. I did my best to stand back and just be told what to do, because let's face it I had know idea what I was doing.




After rounding up about a cord of wood, we headed home. By the end of the adventure I was feeling a lot more confident in my axe skills and ability to carry as many pieces of wood as possible. (Mountain girl in the making) One small note... on the way down we got pulled over by the Forest Service because they wanted to check our permit. Well, we didn't have one because the place was closed to get one that day. We didn't really worry much at the time, because it is FREE to get wood from the area we got it from. The Ranger was not having it, he said it was like Hunting without a deer tag, which is ridiculous if the wood is FREE. Anyways, he confiscated our wood. ALL OF IT!! and he gave us a ticket even more ridiculous. So we came home empty handed with absolutely no wood and a fine. What a bummer!! Poor Sarah and Zach couldn't believe that this happened to them, because they are the real mountain peeps. Now, there will be another trip out to the mountains to get more wood and more tests of marriage for S&Z.

Even though the day ended as bad as it did, I had a great time in the woods, playing with the dogs, hanging with the fam and enjoying the fantastic scenery. Next time, we will just make sure we have a permit.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for all your help Erin!!! We love having you around! We won't be going far without a permit anymore, needless to say. To bad the Forest Service wasn't open and were jerks about the situation...oh well, live and learn.

jeannie said...

So glad that you're having such a good time and "learning the ropes" of house painting, roof repair and cutting wood in Idaho. S and Z are probably loving having you there. Hey, Happy Birthday, too. Much love!