After 8 long years and lots of life experiences, I have officially headed back to school to finish my degree. My new school is Portland State University. This is the first university I have ever attended. The other schools I attended were an art school and a couple community colleges. I am starting out as a senior, but I have to get a certain amount of credits before I will be officially allowed to graduate. My major is Art Studies. It was the closest major in relation to all my credits which would allow for the quickest graduate date.
Portland State is the largest school in Oregon. There are over 27, 000 students. The campus takes up about 49 acres of downtown Portland and it has about 50 buildings. There is a huge LEED certified recreational center that Nik and I are using and a farmers market that goes on every Saturday. Nik gets to go to the rec center, because he is my domestic partner. Ha, I love Oregon laws, they are so relaxed. So far I love the culture of the school. People are very friendly and easy going. I don't feel like the oldest, because I think the average age of students is around 30.
| picture taken in the spring |
I am of course still working full time, so my classes are after work at night. It works out great because our apartment, my work and school are each a mile from each other. So far this week, school has been an adjustment, just with the extra time it takes and of course homework. I think my first day I was in a little bit of shock. It was weird going back to being a student (let's face it, I am used to being the boss). Now, I feel better and will soon be well adjusted.
Finishing school has been something I have wanted to do for the longest time. I know it won't be easy, but I will be so thankful I did it in the end. Nik has also been super supportive of me going back. I think he wants to go almost more than me. I suggested he could go as me to all my classes and they would never know. We laughed how it could work out, but of course we would never do that. Thanks Nik for your positive and encouraging words. You keep me motivated to stay on track and reach my goals.
Wish me luck in my new adventure!
3 comments:
That is great Erin! I know the first day was always depressing, when you got your outlines and realized how much work you are supposed to do. I have no doubt you can do it. Good Luck!
love,
Addie
Hooray! I'll trade you places. You can go to work and I'd love to go back to school. Just wish they paid you to go to school instead of you paying them ;) Enjoy it will be so worth it! xoxo
Much love and good luck in your college venture. You'll be a hard working and wonderful student. oxox
Post a Comment