Saturday, June 11, 2011

Mount St. Helens Skin

Nik and I had the opportunity to go with a bunch of his friends to hike Mount St Helens on skis. We drove up to the mountain after I got off work on Saturday, where we set up our tent and joined the guys at the campfire for some good ole' camping times. We didn't want to stay up too late, because we had to get up early to start our hike. 



The next morning we got up with the sun to get a fresh start on our ascent ahead. We left the parking lot with our skins attached to our skis and we barely had to walk 100 ft before we were able to put them on and start skinning up the hill. The first part was beautiful. We were below the tree line and it seemed so quite and serene.


Once we got above the tree line the terrain became much steeper and we really had to work hard to make a few slides on the skis. At this point I started to feel a major pressure on my shins. (My boots were given to me when I first came back to skiing a couple years ago. They have worked ok until now). Finally the terrain was so steep we had to take our skis off and hike with our poles in one hand and the skis over our shoulder in the other. This was about half way up the mountain (about 3000 vertical ft) from where we started. Once I took my skis off the pressure was too much to handle. My shins were throbbing and I couldn't handle the pain. Taking steps forward into a steep incline was killing me. I told Nik I was not able to continue and that he should go on. He didn't want to leave me along, so he gave up his ego and helped his injured fiance down the mountain. Skiing down was very difficult on the shins as well. I was practically in tears, but I knew that was the only way I was getting back to the car. I was really bummed we didn't make it and I know Nik was too. We both are competitive people and not achieving something like that struck my ego a bit.


At the bottom we took all of our gear off and headed home. My shins throbbed for most of last week and I wasn't able to wear any socks. I am feeling much better now, and realize I am glad I turned around that day. If I was injured anymore it really could have affected me at work.

While driving home we got a call from our friends, Andrews and Wanda. They invited us out on their boat for the first ride this year. We had to do it. Hiking and skiing in the morning to boating in the afternoon. It was a must! We didn't waterski or do any sports, we just lounged and laid in the sun. It was a perfect way to end such an adventure filled weekend.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Fun! Proud of u two for taking care of yourselves & each other. the mountain will be there when u recover. xoxo